The first question you should ask yourself about your eating habits is: “How big are my portion sizes?”
Once you have downsized your dishes, you can ask yourself the second most important nutrition question: “What am I eating?
By keeping track of your eating habits for three days (two weekdays and one weekend day) using the Healthy Eating Log, you will be putting your heart-healthy eating into practice!
Follow a heart-healthy diet every day:
- Choose unsaturated liquid oils instead of saturated spreadable fats such as butter, shortening and hydrogenated vegetable oils;
- Choose more high fibre and soluble fiber rich foods throughout your day, including brightly colored vegetables and fruit and whole grain foods;
- Use refined grain products, sugars and sweets sparingly;
- Choose lean cuts of animal foods and plant based proteins such as beans, peas, lentils, and small amounts of nuts and seeds – for most snacks and meals;
- Choose fatty fish, lean cuts of poultry and omega-3 enriched eggs more often than red meats;
- Choose skim or 1% milk fat milk and yogurt products and low fat fortified soy products;
- Drink fluids regularly throughout your day and make water your #1 choice;
- Drink alcohol in moderation, unless contraindicated.
Generally, your Total Cholesterol, Low Density Lipoprotein-cholesterol, and Triglyceride levels should begin to improve two to three weeks after you begin to follow a heart-healthy diet.
Now let’s EAT SMART! by making better choices in your diet.