- Fresh and frozen vegetables and fruit are the healthiest choices.
- Canned vegetables have added sodium (salt) and canned fruit have added sugars so use them less often.
- Fruit and some vegetables are good sources of soluble fibre, which can help reduce your cholesterol and LDL-C levels.
- Vegetables have less sugar and are lower in calories than fruits.
- Choose vegetables more often than fruit, every day.
Choose vegetables more often than fruit:
|GREAT CHOICES||GOOD CHOICES||CHOOSE RARELY|
|Vegetables||Fresh, frozen or canned vegetables
Tomato or vegetable juices/ cocktails
|Avocado and olives in very small amounts||Vegetables prepared with butter, cream or sauces
Deep fried potatoes or other vegetables
Unsweetened fruit juices
Canned fruit in its own juice
|Fruit juices with added concentrated juices
Canned fruit in light syrup
|Fruit drinks with added sugars
Canned fruit in medium or heavy syrup